The tunnel, positioned close to China border, is predicted to present India strategic heft by facilitating quicker motion of its troops.
Listed below are key issues to know concerning the tunnel …
* The tunnel goes via Sela Cross and is predicted to chop down the gap to China border via Tawang by 10 km.
* It’s positioned on the border between the Tawang and West Kameng districts of Arunachal.
* The undertaking consists of two tunnels. Tunnel 1 is 980 meters in size whereas tunnel 2 is a twin tube tunnel which is 1,555 meters in size.
* The tunnel would additionally lower down the journey time between the Military’s 4 Corps headquarters at Tezpur in Assam and Tawang by no less than an hour.
* The Sela tunnel’s building work is predicted to be over by June 2022.
The Saga of Sela Tunnel https://t.co/5K2BLc6ENE
— Rajnath Singh (@rajnathsingh) 1634188779000
* The tunnel would be certain that Nationwide Freeway 13, particularly the 171-km stretch between Bomdila and Tawang, stays accessible in all climate circumstances.
* In 2019, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had laid the inspiration stone for the undertaking. It’ll price round Rs 687 crore.
* Through the 1962 warfare, China’s invasion into India progressed swiftly after Sela was overrun by the PLA.
* “It (Sela Tunnel) is not going to solely strengthen safety but additionally join far-flung areas, making it possible for the folks of West Arunachal to commute. It will improve tourism & enhance financial system,” DG BRO Lt Gen Rajeev Chaudhary advised information company ANI.
(With inputs from companies)