Danish well being officers at present mentioned the COVID-19 Omicron (B.1.1.529) variant is spreading throughout the nation, following revelations yesterday from the UK that the variant is spreading in numerous components of England.
In the meantime, a number of world scorching spots proceed to battle Delta (B1617.2) variant surges, with some nations in Europe taking new steps to curb the unfold within the lead-up to the vacations.
Extra reviews of group unfold
At a briefing at present, Denmark’s Affected person Security Authority Director Anette Lykke Petri, MD, mentioned Omicron variant exercise is spreading although the society, with massive outbreaks within the east and west, based on Reuters. The nation has reported 398 circumstances up to now.
On Twitter at present, Mads Albertsen, PhD, who heads a bioinformatics and sequencing lab at Aalborg College, estimated that 2% of the nation’s circumstances at the moment contain the Omicron variant. He added that Denmark is screening about 200,000 folks a day, with optimistic samples examined with an Omicron-specific polymerase chain response (PCR) take a look at. Scientists are sequencing all optimistic Omicron samples, plus 2,000 random optimistic samples every day.
Up to now, hospitals aren’t at important capability, however the authorities is contemplating nonpharmaceutical interventions within the face of a big Delta wave and the unfold of Omicron, he mentioned. Denmark can also be selling boosters and simply opened vaccination to kids ages 5 to 11.
Yesterday, British well being minister Sajid Javid informed Parliament that group transmission was beneath means throughout all of England’s areas, however it’s too early to say if new variant exercise will blunt restoration from the pandemic, based on Reuters. The United Kingdom at present reported 101 new circumstances, elevating its whole to 437.
Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon informed lawmakers that the nation’s circumstances have risen 10-fold over the previous week, with circumstances reported in 9 of 14 well being areas, based on the BBC.
In South Africa’s surge, the nation reported 13,147 circumstances at present, and although most are in Gauteng province, the place Omicron exercise is driving exercise, KwaZulu-Natal province—positioned southeast of Johannesburg—reported a bounce in circumstances, based on the South Africa Instances. The nation’s COVID-19 positivity charge stays excessive, at 24.9%.
Extra actions in Europe as Delta surges
In European Delta surge developments, Switzerland introduced it’s deploying army troops for the third time because the pandemic started to assist assist the heath system, based on Reuters. Hospital intensive care items are at 79% capability, with COVID-19 sufferers occupying about 30%.
French Prime Minister Jean Castex mentioned yesterday that the nation does not want one other lockdown, however officers are closing nightclubs for 4 weeks and have ordered new distancing measures to gradual the unfold of the virus. The federal government referred to as on folks to restrict social gatherings and it tightened masks necessities for colleges.
Elsewhere, Austria at present mentioned it’s going to carry its 2-week lockdown on Dec 12, however solely for individuals who are vaccinated.
Extra international COVID headlines
- GlaxoSmithKline at present introduced that sotrovimab, the monoclonal antibody remedy that it developed with Vir Biotechnology, retains exercise towards all mutations within the spike protein of the Omicron variant, based mostly on preclinical knowledge that it revealed in a bioRxiv preprint, which is not peer considered. The remedy is has been licensed for emergency use in the US and plenty of different nations.
- Uganda’s well being ministry at present mentioned well being officers have confirmed 7 Omicron circumstances, together with 5 in folks with a historical past of Nigeria journey and a pair of in those that had traveled to South Africa.
- Croatia is the newest nation in Europe to substantiate and Omicron case, based on an replace at present from the European Centre for Illness Prevention and Management (ECDC). The ECDC mentioned 1,137 confirmed circumstances have been reported by 52 nations.
- In a remedy guideline replace, the World Well being Group (WHO) at present really useful towards using convalescent plasma for treating sufferers who aren’t severely sick with COVID-19. It mentioned its skilled assessment discovered no proof of profit for much less extreme circumstances, however there was uncertainty about advantages for sufferers with extra critical infections. The WHO mentioned the remedy must be used solely in scientific trials for these with extreme and important COVID-19.
- The worldwide totals at present climbed to 266,925,825 circumstances and 5,268,520 deaths, based on the Johns Hopkins on-line dashboard.